Saturday, October 21, 2006

Some Day... I Will Make It To Seattle's Coffee Fest

For the past couple years I've been trying to go to Coffee Fest, in Seattle. And, for the past couple of years something has come up to prevent me from going, and this year is no different. Unless someone wants to donate money for airfair and a hotel room or airfair and room on the floor of your hotel room, I will be missing the show. No coffee from the Clover, no latte art competition, no visiting any of the coffee houses I've only heard about and worst of all no visiting with other professionals I've only talked to online in chat rooms. I'm so bummed.

Things are picking up on the roasting end at the Klatch. We are trying to create a "Christmas Blend" of sorts, using some of the amazing Ethiopians we have in stock. Sidamo Hache, Addiss Katema, Addiss Ababa and the Adado are all amazing coffees. I thought it'd be easy to take 2 or 3 amazingly good coffees, combine them, and make an amazingly good blend. But, its not. It's as if the best attributes of each coffee cancel each other out. Most all of the blends that we've tried have been very flat in flavor and really dissapointing over all. None of them have been as good as each of the varietals by themselves. Blending is truely an art form all its own.

This weekend is the SoCal Barista Jam, being hosted by Cafe Calabria, in San Diego. I'm going down Sunday to check it out. Never been to a "Jam" before, kind of exciting. My boss, Mike Perry, is teaching a cupping workshop and will using some Ethiopian Hache, which I roasted, for the class. I must say, I'm a little nervous about a bunch of people cupping coffee that I roasted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home